Suggestion for Backup

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

VT-51_Thud

Suggestion for Backup

Post by VT-51_Thud »

The AG-51 SEOW is up and running. We have a few minor tweeks to work out but it least we are at a point to start our campaign.

I'm curious to hear from others how they back-up their database? What I would like to do is create a off-site back-up after each mission plan incase something happens on the server. I am using Navicat.

How do you all manage this?
=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Post by =69.GIAP=TUSHKA »

S! Thud,

At 69.GIAP we back up the campaign database at every stage of the process: before building a mission, after building a mission, after analyzing a mission and after any clock advances... i.e. any time the DB is changed. We use the backup function of navicat to do this. Select your database, click on "backup", then "new backup", enter an appropriate note like "before mission built" and do it! This backup function, however, is not available in the free copy of navicat, only in the commercial copy, so we have the commercial version on our server, and use free copies on our PCs to connect to it for other admin purposes.

It may seem excessive, but we've learned from bitter experience that when something goes badly wrong you want the most recent possible backup. :-)

We leave our backups on the server, but if you want off-site backups you could use an off-site commercial copy of navicat to do it.
C!

Tushka

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Tushka,

You know, there is even a batch job designer and scheduler in my Navicat version. This means you can run queries, perform backups etc on a predetermined schedule, repeating over and over again. I have never tried this, but I guess it means you can automate the backup functions if you want to.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Post by =69.GIAP=TUSHKA »

We haven't, but I'm willing to bet that 22GCT_Gross has. :-)
C!

Tushka

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross »

You loose Richard!

The Rnzoli's Dedicated Server Controller makes all the db backups by itself (planned, built, analised and clockadvance).
If I need of a manual backup, I use SqlYog GUI (as suggested by 102nd_cmirko).
22GCT_Gross
Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

I am aware of the feature, but have never tried it. I think I will begin doing this soon. Thanks for the reminder!
Hitcher
VT-51_Thud

Post by VT-51_Thud »

Thank you for all the feedback. I feel much better now that I can back-up my files.