Windows 7

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

JG6_Express

Windows 7

Post by JG6_Express »

Hi all,

Just when I had all systems up and running, my son decides it is time to upgrade the old mans computer. He has installed windows 7 as the OS. My question is this, which version of Net Frameworks 2.0 should I use for SEOW? Also the same goes for the obdc program. Just want to make sure I get the correct version before I go and screw up a new install.

I downloaded odbc-3.5.1.27-win32

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

Thanks.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Express,

There are a couple of threads in this Forum about Windows 7 and about SEDCS and 64-bit Vista. They may be useful to you. But the first thing I would try is to go with the versions that you know work for XP32. If no luck there, then we need to try something different, as described in the other threads.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Hi,

I read the threads on the 64bit install. I'll give it a try this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get seow up and running as good on this win 7 system as I had on my win xp sysytem.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Windows 7 comes with .NetFrameworks v2.0 preinstalled. Of course I didn't know that until I downloaded and tried to install it :roll:
I then downloaded and installed ODBC (X86) windows MSI.
Next I installed SEDC using both compatiability mode and as administrator.

I can access the MP4 from the URL, BUT, when I try to use the SEDC to connect to the db, I get this message.

basCfg.SaveOptionSectionWithOpenFile: 5 Access to the path C:\Programn Files\SEOW-DCS-V 3.2.7.exe.config' is denied

error 5

Description:Access to the path C:\Program Files (X86)\ScorchedEarthOnlineWarSystem\SEOW-DCSV3.2.7.exe.config is denied.

Any ideas?

It must be a windows 7 problem because I did not have this when I was running SEOW on XP.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Express,

Looks like a permissions error. Is there a "Compatibility Mode" for Windows7? On Vista I had to right-click on the DCS exe and select XP compatibility mode.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Yes there is and I tried using that feature but still no joy:(

I am beginning to dislike win 7 very much. The security around this makes me feel like I am controlling NORAD from my home desktop.......
JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Well yesterday my Windows 7 crashed completely. Black Screen of Death.
Fortunately I still had all my original OS (Win XP) on my other drive.
After reconfiguring my bios and reinstalling some new drivers, I am back to XP.
With that, I am also back with an operational SEDC and MP :D

It will be awhile before I am ready to give win 7 another go. :evil: