New Install

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

JG6_Express

New Install

Post by JG6_Express »

Hi all,

I am installing SEOW again but this time to a remote server. It has been a couple of years since I did it. I have uploaded, downloaded, and installed all the necessary files. I also have read the Wiki and believe I have everything ready.

With that said, I need some help getting started. Before I had it set up on a local machine whereas I had total control of all programs. This time I am using a paid hosting provider so I do not have total access to the software.

My provider is using the following;

Linux
Apache 2.2.9
php 5.2.6
mySQL 5.0.77

The Wiki installation states the following....

If you are going to use MySQL, make sure you get this working with the following options set in the my.ini configuration file for MySQL:

# Local extensions for SEOW
lower_case_table_names=2

#Use old password encryption method (needed for 4.0 and older clients).
old-passwords

#extend query chunk size to something sensible
max_allowed_packet=64M

Also, make sure that your PHP has the MySQL extension loaded. This is enabled by default in some PHP releases, but not the recent PHP v5.2.x releases. You do this in the php.ini file of your PHP installation folder. Simply uncomment the MySQL extension line. That is, change:

;extension=php_mysql.dll

to

extension=php_mysql.dll

I need help changing my lower case table names to 2, they are set to 1.
Also need a little direction to check or change the max_allowed_packet.
I do not believe I have access to the php.ini file. At least I cannot locate it or the my.ini.

I am stuck right at the start gate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Express,

Some ISPs lock down their PHP and MySQL configuration files, so you may not be able to change them. I also note that your host is running Linux, so you will have to connect to your databases remotely. Not all ISPs allow this, but I am hoping yours does!

Now your actual system. Given that it is running PHP and MySQL, I suspect you do not have to enable MySQL support in your PHP - it should already be there. The other settings recommended at the Wiki site are just recommendations. let's see how your default host system handles SEOW.

Just set up a few databases, create user acount permissions for them, and load the SQL using the .sql files inside the SEDB32E.zip download file (check the README file). Install the MP inside your web document root, set the IconLocation variable inside MP4/Scripts/MP-Configuration.php and see if you can get the MP to connect to your databases (by running the MP4/Scripts/MP-Admin.php page).

The last bit of the equation is to install SEDCSv3.2.7 on your home PC and see if you can get it to connect remotely to your databases. If you can, all is well. If not you will need to investigate remote connection to your host MySQL server.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

PA-Dore

Re: New Install

Post by PA-Dore »

JG6_Express wrote: I need help changing my lower case table names to 2, they are set to 1.
Just add 1 line in your my.ini:
set-variable = lower_case_table_names=0

Your tables will appear as: ActionData...
JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Rgr fellas,

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

PA_Dore, where do I find the my.ini?

I can see the line in myphpadmin, but it is grayed out and will not let me change that value. There must be a cmd to do that, I just don't what that may be.
JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

update.

Have everything loaded and was able to connect to db.

I got to the screen which showed all the campaigns and set them from default to mysql. I then clicked on save database coonection definitions.

It brought me back to the screen to click on Back to Scorched Earth Campaign Sections.
Clicked on it and recieved a 404 error message saying URL/MP4/scripts/default.php not found on this server.

I looked in my files and did not find a default.php, but instead a default-classic.php,default-iron.php, and a default-green.php.

If i change the default.php in the URL to default-green.php, i just get sevral warning messages similar to this;

Warning: include(adodb/adodb.inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxx/MP4/Scripts/default-green.php on line 7

Also, I do not see the adob.inc.php file in my system. Is this something I missed to install?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Express,

I suspect you haven't installed the MP properly. Here are the steps:

1. Download MP4-v4.593.zip (http://sourceforge.net/projects/seow/fi ... p/download) and expand into the web root folder on your host machine.
2. Download MP4_patch_v4.593_to_v4.610a.zip (http://sourceforge.net/projects/seow/fi ... p/download) and extract over the top.
3. Edit the MP4/Scripts/MP-Configuration.php file to see the $IconLocation variable for your install.
4. Open MP4/Scripts/MP-Admin.php in your browser and set the DB connection strings. As a first step, simply set all sectors to Default and test by establshing the Default Connection to your test database.

But, first, make sure you have created and populated your test database!

If you are having problems, just drop by SEOW HQ TeamSpeak and we will talk you through it.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

thx 4shades,

You are correct in the MP4. I looked back at what I had uploaded and it is just the one patch 4.593to 4.610a. How I managed to that I'll put to staying up to late.....
I will get this corrected and reinstalled properly.
Last question.
So the OBDC and frameworks 2.0 both get installed on the local computer?

I am almost there
:lol:
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Yes, ODBC and .NET are libraries required to run SEDCS. They have no other purpose in SEOW.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

$DatabaseProvider = "mysql"; // This is a MySQL database

What do I need to put for $DatabaseProvider =

I think I have everything else set correctly but this.

It was localhost.

The problem I had was I did not put /Scripts/MP-Admin.php.

I had just MP4/MP-Admin.php
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Express,

I am not sure what your question is, but if you want to learn more about DB connection settings, read the contents of MP4/Scripts/MP-Connection.php as it has some examples in there. If you are using MySQL for your databases, then the DatabaseProvider is always "mysql".

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Thx m8 for all of your help. Well I have it all reloaded, configured. and operational. The detail, scope, and magnitude of this project is really amazing. You guys have done a number one job putting this together.

I do have a couple of questions that I will need to clear up but will wait til someone is on teamspeak. It will take longer to explain it then it will to answer it.

I am now in the position to help the next newbie who may have some install questions.

Thanks fellas.