TD 4.10 and SEOW

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

IV/JG7_4Shades

TD 4.10 and SEOW

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi everyone,

In case you have been living under a rock, Team Daidalos has released the "official" patch 4.10 of IL-2 (following on from 4.09m). There is much to like about the TD 4.10 patch, with interesting new functionality etc. However, it introduces a range of features that SEOW cannot handle yet, and it does not include some now routine features of HSFX/SEOW. The SEOW team is looking at updating SEOW to use the important new features of TD 4.10 plus any subsequent HSFX improvements. Until the updated SEOW version is released, it is not recommended to use SEOW with TD 4.10.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Development of SEOW v3.3 has commenced. It will support TD4.10 and HSFX4.2 and beyond.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-YU-Devill

Post by 102nd-YU-Devill »

Godspeed Shades!!! :)
JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

If there is some task that you feel JG6 could help with, just let us know. We are not the most tech savvy bunch around but can muscle thru with some form of testing if the task isn't to complicated.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Thanks Express. Can you please have a look at wind modelling in coops with TD4.10? I particularly want to know if the wind direction and gust and turbulence affects smoke plumes correctly. Please report back here if you can.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Razor

Post by VT-51_Razor »

Shades, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of looking into this, and it does not appear that any of the smoke objects are affected by the wind direction or speed. I went up to 20+ knots with no discernible results. This was with a clean install of 4.10 in a coop. I also had the properties of the smoke object set to both "none" and to "red", just to see if that made a difference.

Happy New Year to all!! :D
VT-51_Razor
Operations Officer
Air Group 51

Those in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do.
VT-51_Razor

Post by VT-51_Razor »

Nor does the wind speed or direction have any affect or influence whatsoever on the direction of drift of a parachute. This is as it has always been with the modded version and Fireball's wind mod.
VT-51_Razor
Operations Officer
Air Group 51

Those in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do.
JG6_Express

Post by JG6_Express »

Plenty of eager helpers at your disposal Shades. GJ Razor!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Thanks guys, good information. BTW, I have completed the wind engine for the next SEOW. We have been play-testing it a bit and it can really add something to campaign immersion. It can make takeoff, landing and ground attack very difficult indeed.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Razor

Post by VT-51_Razor »

Anything else you need tested Shades? You all have done so much for this community, it's the least we can do to try to give something back. Just ask, and we will attempt to comply. :wink:
VT-51_Razor
Operations Officer
Air Group 51

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

No testing needed to speak of just now, but have a look at this: preliminary TD4.10 wind support in SEOW...

You can see the prevailing wind direction indicated in the compass rose (orange arrow heading into the wind), plus you can see that Livny West Field has a new "wind-affected" icon. The airbase tooltip shows the head/tailwind and crosswind strengths. If the wind conditions are too bad, the tooltip goes yellow to indicate a threat condition. Commanders are solely responsible for ordering aircraft to fly off an affected runway. SEOW will not prevent silly orders being issued!

The admin view of the detailed weather conditions is superimposed top left of the image.

Drop in to SEOW HQ TS whenever I am around and we can fly some test SEOW missions with wind enabled.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Razor

Post by VT-51_Razor »

How is it that you can have different wind speed/direction for Axis and Allies??

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that is AWESOME!!! :wink:
VT-51_Razor
Operations Officer
Air Group 51

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Razor,

There is a difference between forecasts and actuals. The admin user sees the actual wind+weather conditions (plus the two sets of forecasts), but commanders on either side only see their side's forecasts, which are only estimates of the actual conditions. The forecasts are usually reasonably close to the actuals, but sometimes one side or the other may get a bad forecast. In the shown example, both forecasts are reasonably close to the actual conditions.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Razor

Post by VT-51_Razor »

AH SOOooo. That is very cool Shades, but in the case of a carrier campaign, a carrier skipper could be royally screwed if he plans his carrier's movements for the next mission based on a buggered forecast! :shock: The result of it could be disastrous, and in RL it would never happen since the skipper has the ability to turn his ships into the wind at will. I would hope that this is an option for the admin to set up.

You never cease to amaze me Shades :wink:
VT-51_Razor
Operations Officer
Air Group 51

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

You are correct about the carrier issue. SEOW will provide commanders with a reasonably good estimate of wind direction, but less accurate information on speed, gusts and turbulence. Commanders will be able to point their carriers into the wind pretty well, but pilots will still face challenges in takeoff and landing.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer